Sunday, 4 November 2012

Grazalema Area and the journey home.

A wet morning above Grazalema and the trip home.

Me battling against the wind at Puerto de las Palomas.
Again it was a wet and windy night but not wishing to be defeated by the weather we made our way up in to Grazalema and then on past the village up to Puerto de las Palomas. The wind was just incredibly strong and it very nearly took me off my feet as I went and had a look for any very brave birds. I did see or hear Wren (Chochin / Troglodytes troglodytes), White Wagtail (Lavandera Blanca / Montacilla alba), Thekla Lark (Cogujada Montesina / Galerida theklae), Sardinian Warbler (Curruca Cabecinegra / Sylvia melanocephala), Robin (Petirrrojo / Erithacus rubecula), Raven (Cuervo / Corvus corax), Hoopoe (Abubilla / Upupa epops), Coal Tit (Carbonero Garrapinos / Parus ater), Rock Bunting (Escribano Montesino / Emberiza cia) and Meadow Pipit (Bistita Común / Anthus pratensis). We then headed back down to the village to see Clive at the visitors centre before going back down to the house and getting some lunch. 
The weather again took a turn for the worse so after thanking Sue and Sam for a great few day we started to make our way back towards home. The drive from Sues down to Ronda was not great with lots of tree branches and lying water on the road. Things improved once we hit Campillos and the rest of the drive was quite good with some spells of sun. On the way we saw a nice male Hen Harrier (Aguilucho Pálido / Circus cyaneus), a late Short-toed Eagle (Culebrera Europeo / Circaetus gallicus), several Griffon Vultures (Bultre Leonado / Gyps fulvus) and a Merlin (Esmerejón / Falco columbarius) which dashed across the road. Around Laguna Dulce thee were a dozen or so Common Cranes (Grulla Común / Grus grus) in the fields,  Lesser Black-backed Gull (Gaviota Somria / Larus fuscus) flying over the water and a small flock of Greater Flamingo's (Flamenco Común / Phoenicopterus ruber) which were just flying in. Just as we arrived home the heavens openen again and it continued to rain heavily all night and for most of the next couple of days.

No comments: